Soc.Culture.Jewish Newsgroups
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

[SCJ FAQ Logo]
< Q21.2.1 TOC Q21.2.3 >

Question 21.2.2:
Naming: But my grandmother was named (insert old-fashioned out of use name here)? No one uses that name today? How do I name after that relative?


There are a number of different approachs. Some take the first letter of the relatives name, and choose a different name beginning with the same letter. Unfortunately, this loses the original meaning of the name. Others choose an arbitrary English name, but retain the relative's Hebrew name. Kolach recommends choosing an English name with the name meaning as the Hebrew name. Consider the English name of Mildred. Mildred is either from the Latin, meaning "Sweet Singer", or from the Teutonic, meaning "Strength". It has Hebrew equivalents of Amtzaw, Gavreelaw, N'eemaw, Neevaw, Reenaw, Sheeraw, and T'heelaw. Thus, less-dated English equivalents might be Shira (Song), Valerie (Strong), Gabrielle (G-d is my Strength), Renana (Joy or Song), or Carol (Melody or Song).

One source asked this question of Rav Avigdor Neventzhal, the Rav of the Old City of Jerusalem. Rav Neventzhal said that while there is no requirement to name after somone, if there is a desire to attach the deceased relatives characteristics to the newborn and/or to tie one soul to the other (according to Kabalah) then the name must not be altered. According to this Rav, taking the first letter of name A and creating name B, thus, does not constitute naming after someone, and combining names from different people also does not result in "naming after" someone. So, the answer for those that consider Rav Neventzhal authoritative is that you can't change the name.

As usual: two Jews, multiple opinions.

The FAQ is a collection of documents that is an attempt to answer questions that are continually asked on the soc.culture.jewish family of newsgroups. It was written by cooperating laypeople from the various Judaic movements. You should not make any assumption as to accuracy and/or authoritativeness of the answers provided herein. In all cases, it is always best to consult a competent authority--your local rabbi is a good place to start.

[Got Questions?]Hopefully, the FAQ will provide the answer to your questions. If it doesn't, please drop Email to The FAQ maintainer will endeavor to direct your query to an appropriate individual that can answer it. If you would like to be part of the group to which the maintainer directs questions, please drop a note to the FAQ maintainer at

[Prev ?]
[Sect Index]
[Next ?]
[Prev Sect]
[Global Index]
[Reading Lists]

© (c) 1993-2004 Daniel P. Faigin <>