Frequently Asked Questions
Section 7: Shabbat Observance
- What is the Jewish Sabbath and why is it on
- Why do my Orthodox Jewish friends leave work
early on Fridays and before Jewish holidays?
- Why can't Jews use electrical appliances and
motor vehicles on Shabbat?
- Why are there 18 minutes from the time candle
lighting starts on Shabbat until the last time you can light?
- I've heard that Jews can't tear on Shabbat? Why?
What is "work"?
- How do people know when to light candles in the
- What is the significance of Challah?
- Why do women wave their hands three times before
lighting Shabbat [or Holiday] candles?
- What is an Eruv?
- If your home is burning, can you put out the
fire on Shabbat?
- What Medical Procedures May Be Performed on
- What happens on Shabbat?
- Do Conservative Jews play musical instruments on
- Why is there a prohibition on travel on
- Can an observant Jew use a camera on
- Would it be disrespectful to call an Orthodox
Jew on the telephone at at time when it is not Shabbat for the Jew, but was
still Shabbat for me?
- Is it allowed for a Jew to be driven in a car to
the shul by a non-Jew?
© (c) 1993-2005
Daniel P. Faigin <email@example.com>